Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Homeward Bound

Um. I'm going home on Friday.
Yep.
Can you believe it?
I can't.

I've been homesick, missing my family, my friends, my little corner of the world, but I knew I could get through it. So what changed? After several tests and doctor's appointments, my mom has been scheduled for surgery. She's actually having surgery tomorrow, but I procrastinated so long on making the decision (because we can't really afford this plane ticket across the country), that the only "reasonably" priced tickets were for later in the week.
Really, I must say that I am the luckiest girl ever. Seriously. I was talking to my mom a couple weeks ago about how we were homesick for each other and we realized that that's actually something to be grateful for. I have a home and a loving family! How great is that?! Also, to add to my incredible luckiness, I have the best man a lady could ask for. He is so loving, so kind, so... just freakin' wonderful! When he realized how much I wanted to go home he wouldn't take no for an answer, even though we really don't have the money right now. I was all mushy for a little bit yesterday, crying because I get to go home, then crying because I'm going to miss him!

My momma and I

Any prayers for my mom would be appreciated. Her surgery is tomorrow (Wednesday) morning EST. She's had a fibroid mass in her uterus for quite some time and has been on the Depo shot to keep the fibroids from growing. All of the sudden the Depo stopped working, and within 6 months the mass grew from half the size of her uterus, to one and a half times the size of her uterus. It's causing a lot of pain, as you probably can imagine. A CAT scan showed new 'unidentifiable' masses on her ovaries, meaning they cannot tell if they are fibroids or something else. And basically, they've never done a biopsy of the big mass, so they don't truly know if that's benign either. Tomorrow they'll be removing everything - a total abdominal hysterectomy. :( I wish I could be there tomorrow, but I know she's in good hands. She works in the OR, so she's getting VIP treatment from all the staff! She even hand-picked her entire surgical team. Hah, my mom is such a ham. Today some nurses pulled her aside to show her the "VIP suite" they fixed up for her. The biggest room they have, extra pillows, and they're trying to get an extra bed so visitors can stay!! Also, my whole family is taking off work to be with her, including her sisters. I love our close family.


Just gotta say, in other news, Memorial Day weekend was really great. We went camping with a few friends for a couple nights. The first day was beautiful and the second night rained like crazy, but over all it was just so nice to hang out with nice people around a fire!

Isn't my man such a hottie?


Steve cookin' up some sausage

And last, but not least, this morning I took Markus to work and headed straight for the SeaTac airport to pick up 'Lil Fish' aka Markus' brother John. He'll be visiting for about a week and a half.

No comments: