Saturday, March 7, 2009

Attraversiamo

Twice this week I have ended up at a sort of party saying, "Dammit! I forgot my camera!" I'd love to tell all about my experiences, but the thing is I would really rather post a couple pictures than conjure up several thousand words. So at this point, I'm just going to tell you this:

Does your mind ever get stuck on a word? Maybe a street name, a kind of beer, a funny word like 'slacks' or 'after'?

This week I met Eugenio, the owner of Trinacria Ristorante Italiano, and his name won't leave my mouth! Eugenio. "Ay-oo-gen-i-yo." You say it fast and loud, like a rollercoaster. The "ay" and "oo" sounds are the last couple clicks at the very top of the hill, and then comes the freefall of "genio." It's so fun I just can't stand it!

I took Eugenio's arm and told him, "I know one Italian word. Attraversiamo!" He giggled and said, "Letza cross the street-a!"

I told him that since moving to Olympia I have wanted to come to his restaurant, but whenever I think of it I'm with a friend and we're both in jeans and we say, "Oh, some other time."
Eugenio told me, "You can come in jeanza! Doesn't matta..." and basically convinced me with his insistance, "we have da best-a foo-da, da best-a price-a!" Then he and a waitress revealed to me the table that they have set up in the kitchen for family or people who come alone so that they can be part of the hustle and bustle of the kitchen! I may go in alone sometime, but I definitely won't be lonely!

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Haha :) I like your impression of his accent. You should definitely go there wearing jeanza! Hehe :) That sounds so fun!