Thursday, November 15, 2007

Last night

I felt like May Boatwright.



"She sure does get upset easy," I said.
"That's because May takes in things differently than the rest of us do... when you and I hear about some misery out there, it might make us feel bad for a while, but it doesn't wreck our whole world. It's like we have a built-in protection around our hearts that keeps the pain from overwhelming us. But May -- she doesn't have that. Everything just comes into her -- all the suffering out there -- and she feels as if it's happening to her. She can't tell the difference."

1 comment:

Tricia said...

That's weird. I just read something that Henri Nouwen wrote about this exact thing. I read it yesterday in Reaching Out. Very weird COINCIDENCE (wink wink).

Perhaps it means it's a book for you!