Tuesday, October 23, 2007

I made my own day




Work today really sucked the life out of me.
Actually, it started before work. I woke up this morning with the heavy fog of sleep refusing to be shaken away. I lied in bed for a few minutes, trying to allow the fog time to lift, but still... I couldn't draw up enough energy to hoist myself out of bed, let alone propel me through my day. I didn't even shower because I couldn't fathom having to go through the process... remove t-shirt, get wet, lather, rinse, lather, rinse, dry off, find clothes, get dressed, decide whether or not to dry hair or pull up in a cold, wet ponytail. No, definitely not today. So I brushed my teeth and washed my face. I stared at my heaping pile of dirty laundry, shaking my head, before digging through both clean and dirty clothes, trying to find something appropriate for work. Really, what's so wrong with a comfy pair of jeans and a t-shirt?
Today on Ellen, she explained that she's a crier. She's always been sensitive. And the people who tell her to grow some thick skin should just stop because if she hasn't by now, she's just not going to. What she's going to do it cry. Yeah, me too.
My co-workers were all mean to me today. I don't really want to talk about it. Just accept it as truth. Now, they may not have been trying to be mean, and yes, I am sensitive, but none-the -less, they were mean. And my phone, which normally doesn't ring more than 3 times during the day, and it's usually from someone within the office, rang continuously today, but only when I was seeing a client, and when I was trying to take a lunch break. Bah!
My roommate Nicole, with whom I ride to work, called at 3:30 to say that her boss had told her to leave early. Deal. Thank God.
And then I decided that the rest of the night would be spent trying to recover from a crappy couple of days.
I vegged on the couch and watched Oprah while eating a dinner of Ritz Chocolates. When that wasn't enough, I popped in Little Miss Sunshine, half watching the movie, and half reading a magazine. Olive's dance raised my spirits so much that I felt ready to leave the house. I decided to go to Arhaus to take pictures of the 'branches wrapped in yarn' I've been talking so much about. My roommate Stephanie joined in on the fun. We walked around Harbor East. The air was warm as a July night and smelled like a steakhouse, with hints of sea salt and rotting fish poking through. It was lovely. We came upon a Starbucks. Grande soy no-water chai. And on the way back to the car, we popped into the place that I knew would turn my night around. Whole Foods Market. Wandering leisurely throughout the store, I stopped, I smelled, I sampled, I even perused the cheese section in honor of my wife. And then, before leaving, I bought myself a fall bouquet of beautiful yellow and rust-colored daisies and mums to put in the vase that has traditionally been filled with gladiolis from the farm between Corry and Union City. This was the first fall since 2003 the vase has sat empty on my window sill. I think it's happy to be useful again.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Pretty pictures, ooh la la :) I enjoy your long blogs. I'm glad you pampered yourself, that is the best! On the list for my next visit: Whole Foods! I love you like a lot. I think I need to give myself a feel-good day, but probably what would make me feel really good is getting a paper over and done with. You're super fabulous.