Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Stressed is just desserts spelled backwards

(I really have been eating too many desserts as a result of this stress)

I'm stressing out a bit about life. I don't even like to be stressed, so why do I keep doing it?

Here's the thing:

I've got real life stuff to be thinking about. One set of thoughts are about my immediate surroundings... like getting used to my new life, Baltimore, my roommates, living in community, working with people who have a terrible disease. It's a lot.

Then there is my professional life. I decided about 3 weeks ago that I don't want to go to med school. And by 'decided' I mean 'voiced'. I think I may have decided a year ago. Who knows. So anyway, I just started researching this whole PA thing and it looks like I've missed nearly every deadline. Because for some reason you have to apply to PA schools more than a year ahead of time. Whatever. So I'll probably have to take (another) year off. This situation becomes more complicated by the fact that I am looking only for PA programs that are near Army bases Markus could potentially be transferred to. We thought I would apply to programs and Markus would apply to be transferred near them, and then wherever he ended up would be okay, because there would be a school there that I had been accepted to. Now we're just going to have to choose somewhere that I'll be likely to get in, move, and cross our fingers. Blaaaaaaaaah.

This is enough to keep me busy. Seriously.

And then I get phone calls from my mom.
And faxes while I'm at work.
Telling me that if I don't choose a photographer and DJ now, we're in deep shit. OOoooKkkk.... can someone please tell me how I'm supposed to choose a photographer that is within our price range when only large (expensive) studios have websites? Does anyone know of a great photographer that likes to take beautiful candid shots (who is also inexpensive) that lives in the Erie area? Ack.

Ack. Ack.

Oh, another question.
When you move to a new city, where do you go to meet friends?

3 comments:

Heather said...

Sorry to hear about all the stress.I'd be feeling the same way if I were in your shoes. I don't know what your budget is for a photographer, but I found this website: http://www.gatheringguide.com/event_directory/rc/pa_pennsylvania/erie/evl_photographers.html

and this one: http://www.wedj.com/dj-photo-video.nsf/gosite?open&U=9BBA653F376DA19C862570AA005B1600

I'm not sure if this will help you at all.

And church is a great place to meet new safe people!

The Sandwich Chronicler said...

Hannah,

Go to Van Tuil Discount Photo on 8th street and ask the people there to recommend someone. It's the place that pretty much all the photographers in Erie get their stuff from, and the employees there will know who's good and who's pricey.

Also! Skip getting the reception photographed. We just put disposable cameras on all the tables and let our guests take those pics themselves. You get a lot more pictures of the stuff you wish you'd gotten to see, like your nephews making faces at each other, or your 5-year-old cousin sticking olives on all her fingertips, instead of the artful, contrived poses.

And so far, I've met all my friends here through work, so. . . I recommend that.

Tricia said...

Van Tuils...I go there for photography, so I can be your messenger if you want. Let me know. I also recommend the disposables on the tables at the recep, but I don't know if you'd want to do that exclusively. Hmmm...you ought to ask Statia about some of these things too, since she was just doing the same planning a year ago. Even if her budget was bigger, I'm sure she shopped around. Also, do you have any friends who could DJ? DJs can be really expensive for a service that amateurs can do really well.

On another note, you can place a platonic personal ad:
F in LTR looking for M/F for fun, play, socializing, that's all. Fiance in army. Weekends only.

I was job searching in the classifieds and someone placed an ad:
Looking for F for traveling across the U.S.

To be honest, I was slightly tempted.