Thursday, April 23, 2009

Hawai`i Day 2

Yesterday definitely felt like vacation. Quick recap: I took the city bus down the road a few miles to meet Nickolai and Jenny for brunch at Da Kitchen, a restaurant that has pretty yummy Hawaiian food. It was so awesome to see friends from back home (weird... i guess "back home #2") in Hawai`i! Turns out they were here for the same reason I am: they wanted to visit for cheap before moving to the east coast. So cool. After our meal they left for the airport even though I tried to convince them to skip their flight and stay for a few more days. :) [Jenny gave me a gift too! Stedman's Medical Dictionary, a book she was given her first year of med school. So sweet.] I walked across the road from Da Kitchen to Kamaole Beach 1. It was so beautiful!!! (again, pictures to come.) I laid out for a little, waded in the water a little, and then started making my way back up S. Kihei Drive towards M's house. On the way I stopped at Starbucks (ha! Starbucks Maui), Shaka Pizza, and several open-air markets. By the time I got back home it was afternoon (that was the goal... didn't want to lay out during prime sun hours and get scorched my first day.) so I dropped off some of the heavier items I was carrying, grabbed a beach mat, and went across the street to a different beach. And what to my wondering eyes did appear but dozens of hot men in water sport gear! There were guys windsurfing, and also kitesurfing, which I had never seen before, but was sooo amazing! There were a couple guys out there who got so much air they would fly for maybe 20 seconds. Crazy! I mean, haven't you always wanted to fly? To be picked up by your kite or umbrella Mary Poppins style and just float with the breeze? These guys were doing that! (and they were hot.) Marianne met me at that beach when she got off work and we sat around a bit and then left to meet her nieces at a hula. Let me just say, I wish I could shake my hips like that. Again, crazy.

So, that's about it. Today I'm adventuring with M's friend Eddy (kayaking? snorkeling? not sure, but I'll report later!)

No comments: