Thursday, May 10, 2007

I'm such a giant nerd.

The other night I had an adventure that I thought could only happen when my wife is around, but apparently I was wrong. Alright, this is what happened...


Markus and I went for dinner and drinks at the Plymouth with Jimmy and Leah.
(Here they are, the little cuties.)
Alright, so, that was a good time until the end when our waitress took approximately 45 minutes to bring our checks. During the waiting, M and I decided that we were going to stay out, rather than being lame-O's like we usually are. We went to Cellblock and drank and danced and had a merry time... Then, here comes the more interesting part...
On the way home, we were passing Benjamins when M decided that we might as well go in and have a drink. Oh Providence(ish). This bar, which is part of the Avalon Hotel, was full of foreign men who were in town for a convention of distributors at GE. I left them alone for a little while, but you know, it's so unlike me not to meet strangers...
No one really knows this except my parents, Markus, and Mrs. Kozak, but I have a great desire for the United States to start using trains again like we used to, and to get semi trucks off the highways. I did a little bit of reading this semester to find out the history of the US railroad, but there's definitely a lot more I need to learn. So, as I was thinking about the railroad this semester, I thought of an interesting question: Are all GE products shipped via locomotive? Because they should be! This question is what led me to meet the men in the bar. (None of them knew the answer, but agreed that if GE doesn't use trains to ship its products, that's just stupid.) I spent the next half hour or so talking to a Dutchman, a Russian, and a Spaniard about the railroad in the United States and Europe, and when that conversation started coming to a close I wondered about their thoughts on the EU. Bah! Seriously, I'm sure that when they went to the hotel bar that night, they weren't expecting to have serious scholarly conversations with a college-aged girl. It was a good time for me though, and I think Markus had fun too, so I guess all is well.

2 comments:

Tricia said...

love this...and I will likely now proceed to comment on all your subsequent posts.

Hannah said...

Thank god. I don't know why else I would post.